Those shortlisted for a WTM Responsible Tourism Award have been announced for 2022.
After an extensive process, there are businesses and destinations, from 21 countries, being recognised as finalists in the WTM Responsible Tourism Awards within the ‘Rest of the World’ category and the ‘Global Award’ at World Travel Market London in November. Those winning the regional awards in Africa, Latin America and the Rest of World have been automatically entered into the Global Award – and judges have selected the most exciting examples in each category.
Those recognised for 2022 include:
- Asian Trails – destination management company in Thailand
- Asilia Africa – authentic safari experience, Kenya & South Africa
- Audley Travel – tailor-made specialist, UK
- Better Places – tailor-made tours specialist, Netherlands
- Bon Hotel Bloemfontein Central – hotel in South Africa
- Cinnamon Hotels – luxury hotel brand, Sri Lanka
- Exodus – adventure operator, UK
- Explore Worldwide – adventure travel company, UK
- Futurismo Azores Adventures – adventure tourism operator, the Azores
- Gorilla Highlands – tailor-made tours in Rwanda, Uganda and DR Congo
- Hilton Grand Vacations – vacation ownership operator, USA
- Ilunion Hotels – hotel chain in Spain
- InOut Hostel – sustainable hostel in Barcelona, Spain
- Japan-San – Kyoto by the Sea, Japan
- Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project – ensures the fair and ethical treatment of porters
- Killarney Park Hotel – Ireland
- Lemon Tree Hotels – India
- PT Pran Indo Permata Abadi (P.I.P.A.) – Indonesia
- Royal Mountain Travel – travel experiences curated by locals in Nepal
- TEMES, Costa Navarino destination developer – Greece
- TFPD: Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge – South Africa
- The Travel Corporation – USA
- Therme – wellbeing resorts, Romania
- Trans Bhutan Trail – Bhutan
- TUI Care Foundation – Cyprus
- Water Street, Kerala – experiential tourism project, India
- Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge – South Africa
The esteemed panel of industry professionals filtered through masses of applications to choose the finalists among entries in eight categories:
- Decarbonising Travel & Tourism
- Sustaining Employees and Communities through the Pandemic
- Destinations Building Back Better Post-Covid
- Increasing Diversity in Tourism: How Inclusive is our Industry?
- Reducing Plastic Waste in the Environment
- Growing the Local Economic Benefit
- Access for the Differently-Abled: as Travellers, Employees and Holidaymakers
- Increasing Tourism’s Contribution to Natural Heritage and Biodiversity
- Conserving Water and Improving Water Security and Supply for Neighbours
- Contributing to Cultural Heritage
WTM Responsible Tourism Adviser and Chair of the Judges, Harold Goodwin, said:
“To be recognised in the WTM Responsible Tourism Awards is a significant achievement. The Awards single out recognition for those who are determined to take responsibility, have a positive impact and make tourism better. Once again, we were overwhelmed with the quality of entries from tourism business and leaders who are making a difference. “
The winners will be announced at WTM London on Monday 7th November, from 14:00 – 14:45 on the Future Stage – with a networking drinks reception taking place later on that day, on the Sustainability Stage from 17:00 to celebrate the winners and congratulate all for taking part.
Photography from previous WTM shows is available to download via the following link: https://wtm.mediafiler.net/wtm/start/index
World Travel Market (WTM) Portfolio comprises leading travel events, online portals and virtual platforms across four continents. The events are:
WTM London, the leading global event for the travel industry, is the must-attend three-day exhibition for the worldwide travel and tourism industry. The show facilitates business connections for the global (leisure) travel community. Senior travel industry professionals, government ministers and international media visit ExCeL London every November, generating travel industry contracts.
Next live event: Monday 7 to 9 November 2022 at ExCel London
Arabian Travel Market (ATM), now on its 30th year, is the leading, international travel and tourism event in the Middle East for inbound and outbound tourism professionals. ATM 2022 attracted over 23,000 visitors and hosted over 30,000 participants including 1,500 exhibitors and attendees from 150 countries, across 10 halls at Dubai World Trade Centre. Arabian Travel Market is part of Arabian Travel Week. #ATMDubai
Next in-person event: Monday 1 to Thursday 4 May 2023, Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai
Arabian Travel Week is a festival of events taking place within and alongside Arabian Travel Market 2023. Providing a renewed focus for the Middle East’s travel and tourism sector, it includes ILTM Arabia, ARIVAL Dubai, Influencers’ events and activations, ITIC, GBTA Business Travel Forums, as well as ATM Travel Tech. It also features the ATM Buyer Forums, ATM Speed Networking Events as well as a series of country forums.
WTM Latin America takes place annually in the city of São Paulo and attracts around 20,000 tourism professionals during the three-day event. The event offers qualified content together with networking and business opportunities. In this its ninth edition – there have been eight face-to-face events along with a 100% virtual one, which was held in 2021 – WTM Latin America continued to focus on effective business generation and achieved the advance booking of six thousand meetings that were held between buyers, travel agents and exhibitors in 2022.
Next event: Monday April 3rd to Wednesday 5th April 2023 – Expo Center Norte, SP, Brazil
WTM Africa launched in 2014 in Cape Town, South Africa. In 2022, WTM Africa facilitated more than 7 thousand unique pre-scheduled appointments, an increase of more than 7% compared to 2019 and welcomed more than 6 thousand visitors (unaudited), the same number as in 2019.
Next event: Monday 3 to Wednesday 5 April 2023 – Cape Town International Convention Centre, Cape Town http://africa.wtm.com/
About ATW Connect: Africa Travel Week’s digital arm, is a virtual hub packed to the seams with interesting content, industry news and insights, and the opportunity to hear from experts on a variety of topics in our new monthly webinar series. All with the aim to keep all of us in the travel and tourism industry connected. ATW Connect focuses on inbound and outbound markets for general leisure tourism, luxury travel, LGBTQ+ travel and the MICE/business travel sector as well as travel technology.
WTM Global Hub, is the new WTM Portfolio online portal created to connect and support travel industry professionals around the world. The resource hub offers the latest guidance and knowledge to help exhibitors, buyers and others in the travel industry face the challenges of the global coronavirus pandemic. WTM Portfolio is tapping into its global network of experts to create content for the hub. https://hub.wtm.com/
About RX (Reed Exhibitions)
RX is in the business of building businesses for individuals, communities and organisations. We elevate the power of face-to-face events by combining data and digital products to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 400 events in 22 countries across 43 industry sectors. RX is passionate about making a positive impact on society and is fully committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all our people. RX is part of RELX, a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. www.rxglobal.com
RELX About RELX
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. The Group serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America. The shares of RELX PLC, the parent company, are traded on the London, Amsterdam and New York Stock Exchanges using the following ticker symbols: London: REL; Amsterdam: REN; New York: RELX. The market capitalisation is approximately £33bn, €39bn, $47bn.*
*Note: Current market capitalisation can be found at http://www.relx.com/investors