The leading global event from the travel industry marks its 35 anniversary with 35 reasons why you should attend.
World Travel Market, the leading global event for the travel industry, is this year celebrating its 35th event.
Since WTM first opened its doors in 1980 the exhibition has continued to grow, relocating from Olympia to Earl’s Court to ExCeL – London.
Last year, WTM recorded it highest-ever participant level with more than 50,000 senior travel industry executives in attendance.
Below are 35 reasons why you can not afford to miss the 35th World Travel Market, Monday 3 – Thursday 6 November.
- World Travel Market 2014 will facilitate around £2.5 billion in industry deals, in part thanks to;
- A poll of 1,229 exhibitors and buyers reveals one in two expect to conduct more business at WTM 2014 than they did at WTM 2013. WTM 2013 facilitated £2.2 billion in industry deals.
- More than 8,500 buyers from the WTM Buyers Club attending. Furthermore, a selection of these buyers will take part in…
- The hugely popular WTM Speed Networking Programme, which offers exhibitors and WTM Buyers Club members the opportunity for quick meetings to aid the signing of business deals. The first session takes place on the Monday of WTM before the exhibition opens, with the second session on the Thursday morning. Around 1,000 exhibitors will take part in these sessions.
- Anyone who’s anyone will be there – More than 50,000 of the global travel and tourism industry most senior executives from 178 countries will be in attendance, alongside…
- 5,000 exhibitors – representing 183 countries and regions around the world, including
- 215 new exhibitors – covering all eight exhibition floor regions. New exhibitors include United Arab Emirate Ajman, Maltese accommodation agency Busyrooms, Saudi Arabia, G2 Travel and the development agency for the Turkish regions of Butsa, Eskise and Bilecik.
- Visit one of the world greatest cities in London – London is one of the most popular tourism destinations in the world. Visit the London Eye, Tower of London, House of Parliament or go to the theatre before or after WTM 2014. WTM 2014 will generate more than £160 million for the London economy through money spent on hotels, restaurants, flights and other discretionary spend by WTM participants visiting England’s capital.
- NEW: WTM Festivals – The Wednesday of WTM will stay open for an extra two hours until 8pm to host the WTM Festivals. WTM Festivals will see exhibitors hosting networking events and parties on their stands showcasing the vibrancy and culture of their destinations. The Caribbean Tourism Organization and VisitFlanders are among the many exhibitors hosting events.
- WTM App and My Connection tools – Use My Connections to message and arrange meetings with other WTM Exhibitors and Visitors, both in the lead up and during the four day event.
- NEW: WTM 2014 to Be Opened by Retail Royalty – Justin King CBE, former Sainsbury’s CEO will open World Travel Market 2014 at the WTM Captains of Industry Opening Lunch addressing 200 of the industry’s most senior leaders.
- NEW: WTM Blogger Speed Networking – Thursday November 6 will see the introduction of the WTM Blogger Speed Networking, which will see bloggers and exhibitors partake in quick meetings to discuss business opportunities. The event takes place in the A Taste of ILTM lounge at 10.30am.
- The Travel Technology Show at WTM – is in its second year and is poised to grow a further 20% on last year’s first edition. New exhibitors include one of the longest established and largest suppliers of travel technology to the UK travel industry Vertical Systems. Along with venture backed travel technology company Mobacar focused on car rental and booking software provider eviivo.
- A Taste of ILTM at WTM – Returns to WTM 2014 following last year’s successful introduction. The events sees UK buyers hold a host of business meetings with the world’s leading luxury travel and tourism brands.
- UNWTO Ministers’ Summit – More than a hundred national tourist ministers will debate how to commit to sustainable tourism during the current challenging economic climate in the largest-ever Ministers’ Summit.
- There will be more than 100 sessions at WTM 2014 – these sessions will have a capacity of more than 16,000 and will be attended by more than 8,000 industry executives
- NEW: WTM Wellness Tourism Programme – World Travel Market is launching its first comprehensive programme to support the fast-growing Wellness Tourism sector. The programme is spread across the Tuesday to Thursday of WTM.
- NEW: Spa Finder Wellness Awards 2014 at WTM – World Travel Market is hosting the first-ever Spa Finder Wellness Awards at WTM. The ceremony will take place on Thursday 6th in Platinum Suite 1 at 11.45am.
- NEW: The World Travel Leaders Awards at WTM – The World Travel Leaders Awards at WTM will help WTM celebrate its 35th anniversary by celebrating those individuals and organisation that have shaped the industry over since WTM launched in 1980.
- NEW: Women In Travel – WTM is hosting two new seminar sessions looking at the relationship between women and the travel and tourism sector. The two sessions cover very different issues; with one focusing on successful women travel entrepreneurs and the other addressing how the travel industry can play a role in enhancing the lives and future of women around the globe.
- NEW: Creative Tourism – The demand for this new tourist trend has been increasing considerably in recent years, resulting in the emergence of new business models as well as the redefinition of certain destinations marketing. Thus, it looks relevant to learn further about its assets, challenges and to explore new opportunities. This will all be covered in a session at WTM this year for the first time,
- NEW: Duty free & travel retail: serving travel, serving the traveller. A session dedicated to the duty free & travel retail industry, an often overlooked but vital part of the travel business. Now worth over $60 billion in worldwide sales, the sector is helping airports in particular fund vital enhancements to infrastructure and capacity, and remains for many travellers an integral part of the travel experience.
- NEW: Family Holiday Association’s Holidays Matter Conference – World Travel Market is hosting the Family Holiday Association’s annual conference on Thursday 6 November. The industry charity helps those families that cannot afford a holiday.
- NEW: UK Secretary of State for Culture, Minister and Sport Sajid Javid is addressing delegates on Monday 3 November at 2.30pm in Platinum Suite 5&6.
- The World Travel Market 2014 Industry Report – Discover the trends, and opinions from the WTM exhibition floor. The report polls exhibitors, WTM buyers’ Club members to find out what the industry thinks, before cross referencing the findings with a poll of UK holidaymakers.
- WTM Global Trends Report – World Travel Market’s Global Trends Report, in association with Euromonitor International, is first with the travel and tourism industry’s future trends. Find out the trends of 2010 and beyond with the WTM Global Trends Report. The session takes place on Tuesday 4 November 3.30pm – 4.30pm in Platinum Suite 1.
- WTM World Responsible Tourism Day (WRTD), the only global day of action of its kind, supported by the UNWTO. The day is vital – for business, for profitability and for our planet with a number of conferences, seminars and events taking place, including;
- WRTD Opening Ceremony – Stephen Sackur, BBC HardTalk presenter interviews responsible tourism pioneer Colin Bell, who was responsible for Africa’s Finest project and Charlie Mayhew, Chief Executive of Tusk Trust, an organisation who work to protect wildlife, but also help to alleviate poverty through sustainable development and education. This all followed by the WTM World Responsible Tourism Awards.
- WRTD programme – The WTM Responsible Tourism Programme includes some of the biggest names in travel including Tui, Thomas Cook, Kuoni, Virgin Holidays and ABTA.
- Just a Drop – Use Water, give water. Visit Just a Drop’s giant tap stand and make a small donation in exchange for your very own reusable water bottle. Not only will you be able to refill it (for free!) throughout the duration of WTM, but you’ll also be helping to save lives.
- LGBT Marketing – Find out how gay and lesbian holidaymakers want to be marketed to by asking gay and lesbian consumers.
- Awards Ceremonies – See if you have won an award this year at any of WTM’s prestigious award ceremonies, including WTM’s Best Stand Awards, WTM’s Global Awards, the World Tourism Awards and the Responsible Tourism Awards.
- Around the world in Four Days – Experience the colour, vibrancy and passion that makes-up WTM. The event welcomes performers from all corners of the globe to descend upon WTM to showcase their countries origins and traditions.
- NEW: Hear from Virgin Atlantic’s new CEO Craig Kreeger, who will discuss the challenges for the airline, which is this year celebrating its 30th anniversary.
- NEW: Auction of Holiday.com in association with Breathe Luxury– for the first time WTM is hosting an auction. The auction will cover some of the industry’s most coveted internet domain names including holiday.com.
– ENDS –
About World Travel Market
World Travel Market, the leading global event for the travel industry, is the must-attend four-day business-to-business exhibition for the worldwide travel and tourism industry.
More than 50,000 senior travel industry professionals, government ministers and international press, embark on ExCeL – London every November to network, negotiate and discover the latest industry opinion and trends at WTM.
03WTM, now in its 35th year, is the event where the travel industry conducts and concludes its deals.
WTM 2013 generated more than £2 billion of travel industry contracts, revealed independent research by Fusion Communications.
WTM is owned by the world’s leading events organiser Reed Exhibitions (RE), which organises a other portfolio’s of travel industry events including IBTM Events, the world’s leading showcases for the meetings and events industry and International Luxury Travel Market events.
In 2013, RE held more than 500 events in 40 countries bringing together more than six million people from around the world generating billions of dollars in business.
Reed Travel Exhibitions (RTE) is the world’s leading provider of exhibitions in the travel and tourism industry, with a wide-ranging portfolio of 21 international events in 14 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa.
Its market-leading, business-to-business events cover all elements of travel and tourism, including leisure travel, luxury travel, meetings, events, incentives and business travel, as well as golf, ski and spa travel.
RTE is part of Reed Exhibitions.