- Wales Coast Path launches hiking passports, badges and certificates to provide a new way to discover the Welsh coastline.
- 75 comprehensive new itineraries which have been inspired by a variety of themes including ‘Mindfulness Walks’, ‘WOW Walks’ and ‘Family Walks’.
- Discover the remarkable stories, landscapes and wonders of the Wales Coast Path in a new ITV series starring Sean Fletcher.
- Celebrate 50 years of Offa’s Dyke National Trail on the anniversary hiking festival hosted in collaboration with Ramblers Cymru.
- Discover 25 new themed itineraries along Offa’s Dyke Path in summer 2021 as part of the anniversary celebrations.
- ITV Wales to launch new series ‘Wonders of the Border’ along Offa’s Dyke Path
- Bridgend County unveils new video for group tour operators inviting them to ‘hit the road from home’ during the pandemic
- Golfers invited to enjoy a green golfing break in Wales with the Dunes 2 Dunes project
Hiking passports provide a new way to discover the Welsh Coast
Walking long stretches of our beautiful Wales Coast Path is a reward in itself, but due to popular demand from walkers, the path will launch a new ‘passport’ certification scheme this autumn aimed at providing a new and unique way for walkers to celebrate having completed each section of the coast path. In support of this new passport scheme, a new app is also planned for 2021, which will provide easy to access information on start points, finish lines and distances. www.walescoastpath.gov.uk/plan-your-visit/passport
Wales Coast Path launches most comprehensive series of itineraries
In 2021, Wales Coast Path will provide a new series of comprehensive series of 75 itineraries. The new itineraries are also aimed at promoting the diverse range of destinations along the coast path, to re-distribute visitors from Wales’ honey pot sites. From child-friendly rambles on ‘Family Friendly’ routes or an adrenalin pumping three day hike, the 75 new itineraries have been crafted by the Wales Coast Path’s knowledgeable park wardens to offer accessibility, variety and miles of iconic scenery.
Wonders of the Coast Path: NEW ITV Wales series on ITV Hub
In 2021 discover the remarkable stories, landscapes and wonders of the Wales Coast Path in a the new ITV series starring Sean Fletcher. Exploring all seven regions of the path from North Wales to the Vale of Glamorgan, the series uncovers some of unique stories along the path from a family living off-grid under a Welsh government initiative to an extraordinary Paralympic surfer. The series was first broadcast in Wales in April 2020 before being aired nationally in June 2020. It is now available to watch in full on ITV Hub.
Celebrate 50 years of memories along Offa’s Dyke Path
Celebrating its 50th anniversary next year, Offa’s Dyke Path remains one of the UK’s greatest long distance walking trails. To commemorate the anniversary, we are stepping back in time and reconnecting with those that have created loving memories along the path throughout the years. Offa’s Dyke Path will be sharing photos and stories submitted by members of the hiking community to highlight the rich variety of experiences available along the breathtaking borderlands.
Offa’s Dyke Path to host Anniversary Walking Festival with Ramblers Cymru
To commemorate 50 years since the opening of Offa’s Dyke Path, the National Trail and Ramblers Cymru will be coming together through an anniversary walking festival in July 2021. The milestone will be celebrated through a series of exciting events, guided walks, talks and live music. Step into the world of long-distance hiking on a variety of routes along the path and experience the breathtaking scenery and rich history of the borderlands.
New ITV Series: Wonders of the Border on Offa’s Dyke Path
After a hugely successful series hiking the Welsh coast, Sean Fletcher returns to highlight life along the Welsh border with a new six part series about Offa’s Dyke. Follow Sean and get inspired as he visits some of the trail’s iconic locations, showcases the scenery and meets a few of the friendly locals.
Hit the greens: eco-friendly golfing in Bridgend
When it comes to great golfing, there are few places in the UK that compare to Bridgend County’s beautiful coastal courses. The county is home to Royal Porthcawl and Pyle & Kenfig golf clubs, considered two of the best and also, most sustainable courses in the UK. Last year, Royal Porthcawl paved the way in sustainable golfing by being the first club in Wales to receive the GEO-Certification sustainability award after their ‘Dunes 2 Dunes’ project. This certification status has encouraged clubs to give back to the rich natural environments by adopting positive practices that protect nature, conserve resources and strengthen local communities. One of the many changes included clearing overgrown areas of the dunes to promote diversity of flora and fauna.
Group Tour Operators invited to ‘Hit the Road From Home’ in Bridgend
Bridgend County have created a travel alternative for group travel professionals through utilising modern technology to offer a ‘virtual road trip’. The NEW ‘Bridgend County Virtual Group Travel Familiarisation Trip’ is an immersive video adventure that trails through the wild coastline, rolling valleys and bustling seaside town of Porthcawl. The video allows tour planners, coach operators, group travel organisers and anyone else who plans tours around the UK to experience the destination’s highlights including local accommodation and food options, attractions and spots for enjoying the beautiful Welsh countryside.
Tour operator and agent opportunities
- Ongoing promotion to travellers who would holiday aboard, but are now opting for UK based staycations in 2021.
- Promote on hiking for health and wellness breaks post COVID-19.
- Focus on the new itineraries launching for Wales Coast Path, Offa’s Dyke Path and Glyndwr’s Way.
Why Wales Coast Path and National Trails Wales at the World Travel Market
- Learn how the Welsh coast is positioned to welcome staycation tourists.
- Uncover how the path facilitates a diverse range of ages and ability.
- Learn about the upcoming celebrations surrounding the 50th anniversary of Offa’s Dyke Path.
- Find out more about the businesses, outdoor activity opportunities and natural landscapes along the Wales Coast Path and National Trails through the new itineraries.